Adding spices at yeast pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bad idea? Good idea?
I'm making a stout this coming week with plans to add a tincture of vanilla and cinnamon. It'll end up being a 4G batch going into a 6.5G bmb and I'm hesitant to have to open the fermentor in order to add the spices. Had absolutely terrible results dry hopping in a situation like this, but I realize the stout will be more flexible than a pale ale. Is there any downside to racking the wort ONTO the tincture in primary, then pitching yeast? Or treat it like a dry hop and try to add with some gravity points left to spend?
Thanks for any input!

Is there any downside to racking the wort ONTO the tincture in primary, then pitching yeast? Or treat it like a dry hop and try to add with some gravity points left to spend?

The only downside would be that volatile compounds would get blown off to some extent by fermentation.

That was one concern. I would like to preserve that as much as possible. I definitely want to hit it during active fermentation given the large volume of headspace and was thinking it would just be more convenient at yeast pitch. But a few days into fermentation shouldn't be much of an issue either.

Wait until after fermentation. Once it is ready to bottle/keg I add my spices for 3 days... if it is your first time taste everyday and cold crash or package once you have the flavor you want.

The best idea of adding tincture is via syringe to the gas post in a keg . Imo its definitely best to add tinctures right before packaging or to keg .

Wait until after fermentation. Once it is ready to bottle/keg I add my spices for 3 days... if it is your first time taste everyday and cold crash or package once you have the flavor you want.
I've had luck doing it that way in the past, but in those instances it was in a full fermentor with very little headspace. I'm trying my best to eliminate as much o2 as possible, especially since I'm a bottler.

The best idea of adding tincture is via syringe to the gas post in a keg . Imo its definitely best to add tinctures right before packaging or to keg .
I generally bottle straight off the fermenter. I'd rather not add the tincture to a bucket, then bottling from the bucket. Trying to save a step. I'd totally go this route with a keg though.

Back