Adding Sage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AEN1MA

Reaction score
I wanted to use Sage in a mead and was wondering what a good amount to use was in a 1 gallon batch? I don't wan't to use too much and have it overpower the batch.

Putting the "Me" back in Mead.

You can always start by adding what may be to little, tasting it, and adding more if needed. To roughly quote a fellow HBT member "you can always add more if it's not enough, but you can't take away what you've added if it's too much"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I love me some sage! Did you buy it or grow it? Herbs vary from crop to crop season to season just like hops. If you have mostly the really potent tops you will need less than if you use the larger, mature leaves.

Sorry for the volumetric measurement but: I use around 1-2 cups- dry, pressed to level but not smashed in for 6 gallons so I think you could use anywhere between 1/8-1/4. I typically use a mix of tops and leaves about 50/ 50. I haven't used it in mead but I have used it several times in different beers and I have never been disappointed. Use less and it will be earthier; use more and it will have a refreshing minty finish. Boil it and it will become bitter- less bitter if you steep at 170F. Dry addition just before packaging will be more aromatic in the glass.

I can't wait for my sage to green up! Happy equinox tomorrow!

I'm going to buy the Sage for my current batch but I'm interested in growing my own herbs and spices soon. Fresh does sound like the way to go.

The dry addition sounds good too. I bought a Cranberry Sage mead and the Sage was very aromatic in the glass and once I tried it I wanted to make one.

Happy equinox to you too and thanks for the advice!

Putting the "Me" back in Mead.

So I just bought some fresh Sage from the supermarket. Do you recommend drying it out and crushing it before adding it to the batch or do you just add it fresh as is?

No need to dry it out- since it hasn't shriveled up I would go on the heavier side for a gallon maybe 1/3-1/2 cup. Crushing or shredding shouldn't be necessary either- the oil glands are on the surface of the leaf.

I would prefer to use dry herb for a dry addition- but you've got time since it needs to ferment first. I will review my notes and get back to you if this is incorrect but the last beer I used sage in got 1 C post boil- and another in secondary/ chamomile too- it was fantastic. You could probably get away with adding more than I originally recommended. Sage really does play nice with all sort of flavors- hard to imagine overdoing it as long as you're not boiling it. Also I feel it's worth mentioning sage isn't like hops when it comes to boiling you'll extract plenty of bitterness in 5 minutes of boil.

Yeah I'm not boiling it I plan on adding it during the secondary. Also that chamomile does sound fantastic.

I wasn't aware boiling sage adds bitterness like hops. I'll have to remember that and implement it in a few beers. This is my first foray into Sage territory but it definitely won't be my last. It smells so good just sitting in it's package.

This is my first foray into Sage territory but it definitely won't be my last.

Yes!!!

I even smoke the stuff (alone) occasionally or mix it with tobacco- it is not harsh at all. Sage is so freaking good! If you have a garden- grow it- if not start one! Low maintenance/ hardy and good for a bunch of cooking or brewing related purposes. I have three plants and it isn't nearly enough for me and the fiance to share. If you have sinus issues like me then sage and peppermint tea is your relief- that and raw vinegar.

Report back with your experience... I might try a lavender, chamomile, sage mead. Somnumel. With a cup (boiled) in 6 gal the bitterness is not overwhelming.

For herbs I would always make a tincture (alcohol solution) and add this in portions until it tastes good.

Well as most of our cultural associations of sage are as a savoury additional flavour I'm struggling to get my head past the "WTF add an ingredient like that" train of thought.....

Though good luck to the OP. I hope it works out as you'd like it too.......

I might try a lavender, chamomile, sage mead. Somnumel.

That sounds awesome! I'll be interested to know how that turns out. I was thinking about trying a Lavender mead as well soon. I will definitely report back as to how the Sage turns out. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Latest posts

Back