Adding orange peel/zest and coriander. How much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehopbandit

Reaction score
I will be making a 5 gallon batch of Belgian Dubbel (Northern Brewer's La Petite Orange). I purchased some sweet orange peel and coriander seeds to go with it.

The recipe sheet calls for the "zest of two oranges" and up to .5 oz of coriander.

1. Since I have the dried orange peel from NB, how much would you recommend to add?
2. When would you recommend adding the peel and seed? I was thinking with 5 minutes left in the boil.
3. I am planning to use my strainer to remove the peels before dumping it into the fermenter. Any reason not to do this?

Any other tips would be great. Thanks!

Take your coriander and grind it in a coffee grinder or something similar. If you're adding both the zest and coriander at the same time, put them both in the same muslin bag, add to the boil, remove bag before transferring to the fermenter. Done.

Take your coriander and grind it in a coffee grinder or something similar. If you're adding both the zest and coriander at the same time, put them both in the same muslin bag, add to the boil, remove bag before transferring to the fermenter. Done.

Cool, thanks. I was definitely planning to crush/crack the coriander with a rolling pin or something. But my main concern was how much of the orange peel to add. Any idea there? Thanks! :mug:

Well, if your recipe calls for zesting 2 oranges, grab the biggest two you find. Brew, and enjoy!

Well, if your recipe calls for zesting 2 oranges, grab the biggest two you find. Brew, and enjoy!

Thanks for the reply! I actually bought some of the dried orange peel from Northern Brewer so I was trying to estimate how much (oz) of that I should use in terms of how much zest/peel two oranges usually yields.

For a 5 gallon batch, I usually add a full ounce of dried orange peel at 5 min. Made a blue moon clone that way in the spring and I ended up drinking it all before I could share with friends! Definitely use a strainer of some kind in your boil kettle or peel bits will clog up your valve like crazy.

Now when you are talking about peel, you mean the zest of the peel, right? You aren't adding in tr whole peel, are you? Even dried, won't the white part give a nasty bitter taste?

LongDog said:
Now when you are talking about peel, you mean the zest of the peel, right? You aren't adding in tr whole peel, are you? Even dried, won't the white part give a nasty bitter taste?

Not the entire peel, but Northern Brewer sells Sweet Orange Peel which is just the outer layers. It doesn't go down to the pith where most of the bitterness comes from. At least that was my understanding from reading what other people said.

Back