Adding Orange Juice To Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I've been a skeptic, and I've heard disastrous stories, but apparently The Veil is doing it with great results. They claim is softens the beer. (see photo below)

Anybody have any experience with adding OJ to the beer? I assume they add it after the beer has been pulled off the yeas...

Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 10.05.34 AM.jpg

Not exactly OJ, but I made a mixture of Simply Lemonade and Blood Orange syrup and added it to the primary after 4 days fermenting for my hoppy American wheat. I did add another smack pack of yeast at the same time and it turned out great.

I've read that fermenting orange juice can produce butyric acid (vomit flavor). I've used it in an orange porter and it was nice. No foul flavor at all.

Well, if they're selling it then they probably found a way to make it work... but I would have thought that fermenting orange juice would result in a flavor more along the lines of stomach acid than oranges. Even that description says that the juice is not intended to be a "present component in the flavor profile." Leads me to believe they use a very small amount, just to say "hey look, we use orange juice in our beer." The linking of real citrus fruit to IPAs is probably not a bad marketing gimmick, because lots of people already associate American IPAs with citrus.

Latest posts

Back