Adding more yeast to primary, or cross fingers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdskull

Reaction score
I brewed a barleywine about a month ago. Things went a bit tits up, and I got an OG of 1.121 (supposed to be 1.083). Took a reading 2 weeks ago, and the beer had fermented down to 1.042. Measured again today, and it hasn't moved. I swirled the bucket a few times to try to rouse any yeast, but it seems it didn't help any.
Is there any point in adding more yeast to the primary, or should I just rack to secondary and let it sit for months? I'm a little worried about bottle bombs, but maybe it's just done?

Details:
10l batch (about 8-9 litres into the bucket)
50g special b
20g carawheat
20g choco malt
20g melanoiden malt
2,2kg light dme (I suppose this is where me and Beersmith weren't exactly cooperating... :cross: )
50g brown sugar

What temperature do you have it at? And what was the yeast strain?

What you have there is about 65% attenuation, which isn't out of the realm of possibility, but a beer with an FG of 1.042 will be unbearably sweet IMO.

Forgot to mention the yeast...

I used two packs of Nottingham dry yeast, and it has been fermenting at around 19-20 deg celsius (room temp).

Anyone seem to think that this beer is OK to transfer to secondary, or could I be looking at bottle bombs?

Back