Adding more hops ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayseed

Reaction score
I made a batch of pale ale and it was first time using home grown hops and there isn't much flavor from them . I made 10 gallons all the same in two separate carboys . Bottled one as it was ready last weekend and the other is still perking. I opened a bottle tonite and there isn't much hop flavor there.
Can I add another ounce of hops and let it perc another week or two to enhance flavor and be ok ?

You can add hops to the fermenter for a week or two (otherwise known as dry-hopping), but you won't get any flavor out of them. Flavor contributions are only extracted at around 20-30 minutes of boiling with the wort.

On the other hand, you will get fresh hop aroma from dry-hopping. Since the sense of taste is strongly tied to smell, it might improve your overall perception of the beer.

Good , anything will help at this point . Had no idea what type they were so I went light at boil .

Back