Adding more cider to fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peruvian802

Reaction score
I have 3 gallons of fresh pressed cider fermenting on ale yeast and am thinking of pressing a few more gallons and just dumping it into the current fermenter. It would seem that any wild yeast should be quickly overwhelmed by the yeast currently fermenting (it's like a huge yeast starter, right?) but wonder if anyone has any experience doing this. I could also take the 2 gallons of unfermented cider and add some camden and then add it after a day or so.

That's a fine plan. As you said, the original will be one massive starter and the yeast in there will overwhelm any wild bug you may introduce. I say- Go for it!
My only relevant experience is that in my Graf a couple years ago, the cider I added was sorbated. I started the wort fermenting 2 days before adding the cider and she fermented fine.

If you add un-sulfited fresh juice, you risk introducing bacteria that will ruin your fermenting cider. Properly sulfited juice will not be a problem Any wild yeast will be stunned then outgunned by the ale yeast.

Scrumpy is spot on! The wild yeast may not stand a chance but plenty of other things will that could give you off flavors. Don't take a chance. Nuke it first.

Back