Adding laveder to cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam004

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of cider that is almost finished fermenting and I would like to add some lavender flowers to it before I keg it. My question is, how much lavender should I use in a 5 gallon batch. I really don't want to use too much. I was also thinking about adding a cinnamon stick or two at the same time. I'd like to hear some thoughts on that as well.:)

I've done experiments with lavender infusions in meads. Tastes great in sweet or semi sweet ones. Can't tell you how it would taste with apples or cinnamon. (When I'm interesting in pairing flavors for brewing I refer to information on food/flavor pairings in molecular gastronomy where most of the ground breaking work has been done. What I do is google "Food Pairings, and then the ingredients I'm trying to pair, usually a list will pop up or a chart...I know Lavender pairs with Lavender pairs well with: chocolate, lemon, blueberries, vanilla, thyme.

This is a great list of pairings...

Looks like in this blog apple pairs with lavender.... I'd leave out the cinnamon, lat plus apple is such a common and almost a flavor unto itself that the lavender would probably be drowned out in that familiar combination, whereas a lavender note would be a surprise.....and subtle.

I give detailed instruction on how to make lavendar and other infusions in this post, including a link to a podcast I was on demonstratiing nitrogen cavitation in making extracts for brewing and mead making... most of the initial experiements were done with lavender.

The post is here....

I would buy or pull out some cider you already have, commercial or otherwise and do what I describe there in terms of some tastings to determine how much you'd need...if cinnamon would even work, etc.

Have fun...

:mug:

Back