Adding lactose and vanilla sticks to milk stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobby

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to make sure. I want to make a vanilla milk stout, I brew it from the Muntons Russian Imperial stout kit. I just wonder is it okay to mix lactose in some water along with priming sugar and add it to the bottling bucket? I know lactose is not fermentable but still afraid to make bombs.
And one more question I socked in vodka about 5 vanilla sticks and left them in the fridge for about an year there about 1.5 table spoon of vanilla extract.
From your experience how many sticks along with extract should I add to 18 l. beer for about 4-5 days before I bottle.
Thank you for your time.

Hi guys, just wanted to make sure. I want to make a vanilla milk stout, I brew it from the Muntons Russian Imperial stout kit. I just wonder is it okay to mix lactose in some water along with priming sugar and add it to the bottling bucket? I know lactose is not fermentable but still afraid to make bombs.

And one more question I socked in vodka about 5 vanilla sticks and left them in the fridge for about an year there about 1.5 table spoon of vanilla extract.

From your experience how many sticks along with extract should I add to 18 l. beer for about 4-5 days before I bottle.

Thank you for your time.

Lactose won't make bombs, so no worries there. I always prefer to taste the new while I'm adding spices and flavoring. Some people might try to give absolute numbers - add 2 tablespoons or 1lb of lactose but the beer flavor profile is a huge variable. I usually start on the lower side - you can always add more but can't it out once it's in.

You may want to pull off a measured amount of beer and experiment with adding measured amounts of vanilla and lactose. Then scale it up for the whole volume of beer.

I add my lactose to the boil . Don't think it will dissolve corectly in the bottling bucket without vigorous stirring, which is completely inappriopriate once fermentation has started. Do what you want, but IMHO it would be better to let this one ride and use the lactose in the next batch.

Or dissolve the lactose in the boiling water before you add it to the bottling bucket. In the future it should be added to the boil.

Thank you guys for the quick respond,I will try tick with water.Thank you for your help.

I often boil my priming sugar in a bit of water so that it is evenly mixed - you could do it along with the lactose, then cool the solution of dissolved sugars (move the pot around a sink of cold water, only takes 5-10 minutes to cool as it's such a small volume).

For the vanilla, I've had good results with 2 TB of vanilla extract in 5 gallons of 5% amber coloured beer. In such a malty beer I wonder if that would do, and in a milk stout vanilla can go really well, but it depends on what you want, and how strong your vanilla extract is.

It's hard to tell before bottling and carbing as the fizz brings more of the vanilla aroma to your nose. Good luck! sounds nice :D

Thank you for your respond,how much of the water do you usually use to boil priming sugar in for 5 gal. ?
And once more thank you for the valuable advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back