Adding ingredients to fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edco76

Reaction score
So I have a milk stout that has been fermenting for 2 weeks. I have 8oz cacoa nibs that have been soaking in vodka for one week.

Plan was to add the nibs and vodka today, let sit a week and then bottle.

But now that it is time to do it, I'm not sure how.

I have 5 gallons in a 6 gallon glass carboy.

I'm pretty sure when I dump in all those nibs and vodka, it's going to do a lot of splashing. Won't this oxygenate the beer?

Is there a trick or technique? Or will the splashing and sloshing not matter?

I also have an empty 5 gallon carboy if a secondary would be better.

I have cacoa nibs for a stout also but was curious if i add them to the boil or to the fermenter myself? I only have 4 ounces though. Anyhow an idea that i just thought of and have never tried,....you could sterilze a funnel add a small hose to the end that is also sterile and filter them into the carboy in tha fashion.

I always add cacao nibs by boiling them in water and dumping the whole solution in. There will be a blanket of CO2 above the beer in the fermentor and its not like the nibs do a belly flop into the beer. Just pour gently down the side of the fermentor. Never had any oxidation adding 50+ random ingredients this way. I'd only use a secondary for like multiple pounds of some fruit or something

Id say just put your cacao tincture in the bottling bucket before racking the beer in, which should thoroughly mix everything into solution. I dump my tincture into the keg before racking into it and they have came out nicely.

I soak my nibs in a mason jar for a week or two, then when ready, I wrap panty hose over the mouth and strain the liquid out that way and store in a sanitized bottle until ready to use.

Latest posts

Back