Adding Hops - newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratstud00

Reaction score
So, probably a dumb rookie question....I've done a few extract batches so far, however they have all been pre-hopped extracts or beer kits. I'm interested in trying a batch with un-hopped extract and actually adding my own hops.

I keep reading (on here and in How To Brew) that the hops get added at various times throughout the boil, however my question is this: do the hops just get thrown right into the wort? Or do they go in a mesh bag like grains?

Also, is the process different if using actual hop leaves vs pellets?

I use the same amount of hops by weight, be they pellet or whole leaf. Whole leaf hops will just have more volume. I add them lose now, as that seems to give the hop flavors a bit more edge, in my opinion. Add'em at 60 minutes for bittering, 25 minutes or so on down to about 8 minutes for flavoring, 5 minutes or less for aroma. Dry hopping gives more aroma. I used to use muslin hop socks for hops in the boil, but they took a week to soak clean again. Now I toss'em in loose in the boil & pour the chilled wort through a 10 1/4" dual layer, fine mesh strainer into the fermenter. This not only gets out all the gunk, but helps aerate the wort as well.

Back