adding honey to power pack porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alker12

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding 1.5 lbs of honey at end of boil (5 min) to the Midwest supplies power pack porter kit.

the ingredients are:

6.6 lbs dark malt extract
3.3 lbs light malt extract
4 oz. black patent malt
4 oz. chocolate malt
8 oz. caramel 120L

1.5 oz. Tettnang hops (60 min)
1 oz. Willamette hops (5 min)

for yeast I plan on using 1.5 packets of 11g Nottingham dry ale yeast if anyone has input on this as well is it welcome.

Are you trying to sweeten the porter with the honey or add more alcahol? I believe adding honey will make the beer more dry, add a little flavor and of course more alcahol. I say give it whirl ! Of course this will alter your OG and FG readings so keep that in mind.

Subscribed. I'd like to see how this turns out. I just made my own recipe by crossing the Midwest power packed porter and their oatmeal stout. I call it a power packed oatmeal porter. Hoping to brew it in another week or so.

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I just finished the last few of these beers and they turned out well. It took some aging because there was a very strong alcohol smell and taste at bottling time, but after 2 months or so in the bottle that had subsided and they continued to improve with age.

I ended up around 7.5% I'm not exactly sure because fermentation stalled at 1.022 and didn't move for a couple days so I bottled, but then they ended up way more carbonated then I intended so I let one go flat and took another reading that said 1.016 if I remember correctly, I forgot to write it down. OG was 1.074.

Back