Adding Honey or another concentrated form of sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattony911

Reaction score
Hey I will be starting my brew momentarily but i decided that i would like to add honey to sort of sour up my wort. Does anyone know how much honey I should add? I want to use it to sour not sweeten so any advice what so ever on this topic would really help me out. Thanks in advance-Alex

Hmmm.... can't say I've read that honey will sour wort. Will dry it up though and it will take a longer time to ferment and age (depending on how much you add this could be significant actually).

BJCP Sour Ales

Wheat malt content is typically well under 50% of the grist (generally 30%) with the remainder being Pilsner malt. A symbiotic fermentation with top-fermenting yeast and Lactobacillus delbruckii provides the sharp sourness, which may be enhanced by blending of beers of different ages during fermentation and by extended cool aging. Low head and carbonation may be incorrectly caused by the yeast's adverse reaction to elevated levels of lactic acid. Hop bitterness is extremely low. A turbid mash is traditional, although some homebrewers use a sour mash.

Most LHBS will have Lacto cultures, but be very careful, because lacto can infect your entire brewing area.

If by over-fermentation, you mean overly dry, then yes.

Most sources say not to have more than about 30% of the fermentable sugars be honey, or you will lose a lot of the beer characteristics of your brew.

Cheers!
-Rick

Primary: Honey Amber Ale
Secondary #1: Octane IPA
Secondary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled/Drinking: American Amber Ale

Excellent thanks guys, all im waiting on now is my one step i ordered from the store then ill sanitize and ill be set to brew. -Alex

I'm thinking maybe you're talking about "dryness" when you say "sour," right?

Honey (or table sugar, corn sugar, candi sugar) will make a beer drier, because those sugars are nearly 100% fermentable, while sugars from malted barley are less fermentable.

I think you can definitely "over ferment" a beer. I think some commercial pale ales are too dry, for example: they probably skimp on crystal malt (as a cost cutting measure) and then ferment to a low FG (so that the ABV will be maximized). I like most beers to have a little touch of sweetness and a full mouthfeel.

The only time I go for a very dry beer is if it's a wit or a distinctly summer beer, where drier and less mouthfeel is desirable.

oh okay thats what i needed, i dont think im going to add honey anymore thanks for the input

Back