Adding grape concentrate to an already fermenting wine with a little too much water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teegasus

Reaction score
So three days ago I put my first ever wine into primary fermentation. This is a 23L (6 gallon) wine kit. As I was tweaking with the sugar contents to get it closer to 1.090, I boiled some water and added sugar to the water to make a concentrate, cooled it off, and then I added it to the must.

Accidentally I can see my wine is up to the 24L mark, which means I added a litre too much water when mixing in extra sugars. Is this necessarily bad?

Can I fix this simply by adding a little more grape juice concentrate? I have a liter of lambrusco grape juice (no preservatives ofc) laying around, and can easily turn this into a concentrate using the freeze and thaw-method. Where I live there is no frozen concentrate in any store. Thoughts?

How can I fix this, or should I just leave it?

Last edited:
Did ya take another SG reading to see where you're at?

I would think as long as you are hitting your target OG you should be ok. From what I understand the additional water may take the fermentation a bit further for a higher ABV and reduce a small bit of flavors but I wouldn't think there would be much difference other than extending the fermentation bit ... other thoughts? anyone?

Back