Adding fruit with campden table

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duelerx

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a Milkshake IPA with mango and i was thinking preparing fresh mango with campden table to kill any bacteria. If i add the mango must during primary (to avoid oxidation) will the campden in the must kill the yeast that is fermenting the beer?.

My understanding from using campden in ciders and fruit wines, is that 24 hours after you add the campden the SO2 level has dropped down to safe levels. With those, I mix the fruit and campden, then pitch my yeast 24 hours later.

It's ok to add mango in secondary with campden. One could even argue it's better.

I have pounds of cherries and blueberries in the freezer. Both of them got soaked in percarbonate-treated water and rinsed thoroughly before being bagged and frozen.
When the time comes the fruit will be defrosted, mushed up, and mixed with some spring water and Campden tablets. The next step is adding pectinase.
Beer wort at high krausen will then be added and away we go toward fruit beer!

Latest posts

Back