Adding fruit/herbs without moving to a secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
I understand that when adding fruits/additions to beer you rack it to a secondary fermentation vessel with the additions, but would there be an issue with waiting until the initial vigorous fermentation subsides in the primary, and just adding the additions then? I ask because to me it would be safer because you're not introducing more O2 to you're beer, and there is less of a chance of infection. If you have the head space, is there any reason not to do it this way?

For the few times I've done it, I've done it in primary. After fermentation is done I add the fruit and wait, then I'll transfer to secondary and cold crash with gelatin. The fruit makes a mess for me. If you don't mind hazy beer then there is nothing wrong with doing everything in primary. Just be aware that it can get messy and racking may be difficult through all the trub and floating fruit.

Just to be clear though, you should never transfer your beer for secondary while fermentation is still occurring.

Hope this helps,

Alright, you gave me the exact answer I was looking for, thank you. I should have been more clear, I would move to a secondary for clearing, but not for adding any more ingredients. I didn't know if the sediment or krausen would react with spices/fruits, or kick up another vigorous fermentation if adding anything to the primary.

Adding the fruit will cause another fermentation. It's common for the fruit to clog blowoff tubes if they cannot handle it. Just keep that in mind.

Oh I'm familiar with fruit clog, haha. I understand the additional fermentables from the fruit will restart fermentation some. Thanks again for the help!

Latest posts

Back