Adding Fresh Fruit to the Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
So I am planning on brewing a hefeweizen on Friday. I will be using peaches and apricots for flavor. From what I've read I will be using 7.5lbs of peaches (1.5lbs per 1 gallon of beer) and 4lbs of apricots to boost thw peach flavor. My plan is to brew the wort and once it is done allow it to cool down to about 160 degrees. At this point I will toss in the fruit and let it ait for up to 30 minutes. Once the time is up I plan on placing the entire wort into the primary fermenter with the fruit still in then I will pitch the yeast and allow everything to ferment.

Is this the best process or woild you recommend another method. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

interesting concept, not sure how the yeast will handle the fruit. I dont have much experience with fruit, but the few I have done I have always added to secondary after fermentation.

Make sure you pasteurize the fruit. Usually there is lactobasillicus naturally in the fruit. Accidentally turned a dunkel into sour by not pasteurizing the fruit before adding it once. Best way is probably to blend it and heat it. Can't remember the correct temperature off hand, but there are probably some good threads on it here somewhere.

Everything I have been reading hasn't really nailed anything down for me. Some aay add to wort and leace in primary. Others say add to secondary. And others say add the fruit to the primary once it has started ro ferment....

People do it, and it works for them, but fruit will lower the viability of the yeast.
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-fruit-effects-yeast-viability.html

If you want to save the yeast from the fermentation then your best bet is to rack off of the cake and save it. Then add the fruit in the secondary.
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/fruit-easy-way.html

If you don't want to save the yeast, and don't mind a little bit more of a labic taste then you can add the fruit in the primary once fermentation has slowed or stopped.

fayderek14 said:
Everything I have been reading hasn't really nailed anything down for me. Some aay add to wort and leace in primary. Others say add to secondary. And others say add the fruit to the primary once it has started ro ferment....

The main idea is to allow the yeast to finish converting malt sugars. Then you add fruit to start another wave of fermentation.

Some people prefer to use a secondary after a few weeks to avoid off tastes from the sediment. It coincides with first fermentation. They then transfer to a secondary for the fruit to ferment into the beer.

Others drop the fruit directly into the primary fermentation vessel.

"You can add fruit in the brew pot, primary, or the secondary.

In the brew pot, you add the fruit after you remove the pot from the heat and the temperature drops to 160F. Let it sit at 160F for 30 minutes and then cool the rest of the way. Transfer the fruit to the primary.

You can pasteurize the fruit in water and pectic enzyme by bringing it to 160F for 30 minutes and then puting it in the primary."

Found this on another thread and this seemed to be the idea that I was going for. Any thoughts? Has anyone done this before?

You can pasteurize the fruit in water and pectic enzyme by bringing it to 160F for 30 minutes and then puting it in the primary."

Found this on another thread and this seemed to be the idea that I was going for. Any thoughts? Has anyone done this before?

I am not familiar with adding fruit to wort. I think most people add fruit after fermentation is completed.

The above you wrote is more about pasteurizing fruit. The biggest concern about fruit in brew is the bacteria on the fruit skin.

I make a lot of beers with fruit in them. Two things I never change: 1) pound of fresh fruit for every gallon of beer. 2) I always add the fruit to the secondary. If it is high in seeds or high in pulp I include a third stage.

You definitely need to add pectic enzyme with that much fruit, or your beer will be hazy and take forever to finish fermenting. Add the enzyme below 140*.

How much of the pectic enzyme would I need for a 5 gallon batch? Also when do I add it? And anyone have any idea where I could buy it in Massachusetts?

How much of the pectic enzyme would I need for a 5 gallon batch? Also when do I add it? And anyone have any idea where I could buy it in Massachusetts?

Pectic enzyme is what people use when heating up fruit to keep it from thickening up too much, like when making jelly. You can buy it at your neighborhood home brew shop or online. At pasteurizing temps, I wouldn't even worry about it too much if it's the only thing keeping you back.

Latest posts

Back