adding fresh elderberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
I just harvested a bunch of elderberries, and I'd like to try them in a beer. I'm thinking either a weizen or saison would blend well with the berry flavor while allowing it to come through. The berries are currently frozen, my intent would be to rack onto the berries in secondary, I'm just not sure how much to add. All of the recipes I've see deal with either dried berries or extract. Anyone tried fresh ones before? Any any other suggestions on a style to complement the berries?

You mention the berries are frozen. If added to fermenter, you will need to cook the berries down to a syrup to remove the cyanogenic glycosides and the alkaloids.
But I think most that have tried this, add at the end of the boil.
Not much recipe activity for this. You might look at a cranberry recipe and substitute. But I'd go light on the addition. It's a harsh and tannic berry. Be sure to remove the skins.

Back