adding extract at end of boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
I cant make heads or tails of this,,some books say to add half of the extract at the end of the boil for hop utilisation,yet some say you MUST boil extract for an hour to reduce DME/S whatever it's called(lol)....what to do?

good question. Being a rookie also, so much conflicting info out there, that I can't figure it out either!

Somebody help!

I was reading about this earlier. It seems to effect hop utilization. Less fermentables during the boil makes the IBUs go up when I fiddle with the time on Brewtarget. I'm not sure if it effects just bitterness or the over all hop flavor. Can anyone clarify this?

Oh also there is less chance of burning a wort that doesn't have extract in it.

There is a debate on the hop utilization. But if you have a lighter beer, doing late extract helps give the beer more of a correct color because it doesn't caramelize the extract as much. Some people also notice the caramelized taste if they don't do late extract.

You shouldn't have to worry about DMS with extract - the extract making process has already dealt with that. When brewing all grain, it becomes a concern, especially with pilsner malt, and you need to boil for 60-90 minutes to drive it and it's precursor compound off. But since extract has already been boiled down, it will not contain any appreciable DMS.

Btw, DMS (dimethylsulfate) is the compound that gives beer a cooked vegetable/creamed corn flavor.

While there is some debate over the effectiveness of adding extract late, the idea is that isomerized alpha acids will go into solution better if there isn't already a bunch of sugars dissolved in there. Also, the hop compounds stick to the coagulated proteins that form from the hot break. More extract leads to more hot break.

DMS oh duh on me:) ok thanks guys I will try the late addition on my next brew and let ya know!

The late extract addition works quite well for me. I use 1.5lbs of plain DME in the 2.5-3 gallon boil. I do hop additions with that. While it does give higher utilization,it'll even out when mixed with top off water to the recipe's total volume,ime.

Boiling LME will caramelize & darken easier then DME in the boil. That's why I use 1-2lb od plain DME in the boil,adding remaining DME & all the LME at flame out. Lighter color,cleaner flavor. And no twang.

Boiling LME will caramelize & darken easier then DME in the boil. That's why I use 1-2lb od plain DME in the boil,adding remaining DME & all the LME at flame out. Lighter color,cleaner flavor. And no twang.

This works equally as well for full and partial boils?

I do partial boils of 2.5-3 gallons myself. But the principal should hold true for a full boil as well. Less sugary wort gives higher hop utilization.

This works equally as well for full and partial boils?

I wouldn't do a late addition for full boils. The reason it seems to "work" so well for partial boils is that you're simulating the "real" wort like you'd have in an all-grain batch.

What I mean is when you do a partial boil and add all the extract, you've got a very thick syrupy mixture as then you dilute with water when it's over. That's why adding the bulk of the extract at the end is so great- it keeps the composition of the wort more as it would be if you were boiling the whole volume. When you do a full boil, I can't see much advantage to adding the extract late as then the wort would be very thin. It may not hurt, but I don't see any advantage and so haven't tried it.

Huh. Interesting. I never thought of it that way vs full boil volume. That explains it with the PB. But in a full boil,with all the DME/LME added right at the beginning,wouldn't that be going right back to the caramelized,twang thang??

Huh. Interesting. I never thought of it that way vs full boil volume. That explains it with the PB. But in a full boil,with all the DME/LME added right at the beginning,wouldn't that be going right back to the caramelized,twang thang??

If you're doing a full boil with extract, you are essentially doing the same thing as if you had done all-grain with a full mash. But instead of pulling the sugars, color, and flavor compounds out of the mash, you're adding them using the pre-made extract. So you shouldn't have to worry about carmelization (which only really happens in highly concentrated solutions and at high temps - and I would argue that it is not technically carmelization, but a result of something similar called Maillard reactions...and even then I am not convinced there is much impact...but that is another topic) . At least, any "carmelization" you get would be the same that an all-grain brewer.

Regardless, extract twang is really not a problem if you're using fresh extract, even in partial boils.

Ok,cool. I've basically eliminated the prospect of caramelization/maillard reactions,twang,whatever from my process at this point. Just trying to clarify for the other readers. I knew/remember threads where we disscussed those reactions from last year. Thanks for adding your input as well. You & yooper helped clear that up for the folks.

Back