adding DME and Dextorse...good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobyone

Reaction score
so if a recipe calls for 3 lbs. of DME can you use 2.2 lbs. of dextrose and 1 lb. of DME instead? reason being is i'm broke. yeah I know, wait till I gots more money...

I suppose that all depends on the sort of beer you're looking to end up with. As I understand it, dextrose will ferment out pretty completely and leave your beer dry and thin. Malt extract contains both fermentable and nonfermentable sugars (which contribute to body and flavor).

If you're shooting for a dry, thin beer, then there's technically nothing wrong with this idea. But that sort of beer isn't the aim of most folk brewing their own beer.

you could, but it wouldnt taste near the same, and would actually taste pretty poorly. if you need to, go with honey instead and make a braggot

thank you much fellas. if I decide to go with honey bout how much would I use and would I use it in place of one or the other (DME or dextrose)?

honey ferments almost completely too, and at $3 a pound for good varieties its not really cheaper than DME.

I gotta tell you something...home brewing is NOT a cheap hobby. Yeah you can make clones of craft beers and not pay as much to brew it yourself, but you can't skimp on much either.

Yeah I know. I have found that out recently, but my wife is breaking my b*lls about making her a raspberry wheat so I have to get it going. I figure with her NOT being a beer connoisseur I could skimp a bit and use dextrose with the 1lb of DME I have left. she'll never know the difference...I think?? h*ll, if she can drink coors light then I should be golden

Yeah I know. I have found that out recently, but my wife is breaking my b*lls about making her a raspberry wheat so I have to get it going. I figure with her NOT being a beer connoisseur I could skimp a bit and use dextrose with the 1lb of DME I have left. she'll never know the difference...I think?? h*ll, if she can drink coors light then I should be golden

Well, I think a beer with one pound of extract and two pounds of sugar will taste really awful. I can't imagine that would help your case!

Back