Adding coffee to keg after carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebrewquest

Reaction score
Hey all,

I brewed a pretty good brown ale. Not my best, but still pretty good. For X-mas, I feel it's missing a little something though. I was thinking about making a cold brew coffee concentrate and adding straight to the keg. It's fully carbed and I've had a few pints - I'm just thinking coffee would be a great addition.

Thoughts? Concerns?

I did some post-carb additions recently and it worked fine. Just opened up the keg and dumped it in. Purge the headspace again with CO2 and maybe roll it a round a bit to mix it up. I'd recommend letting it sit at least 24 hours after the addition (rolling or not) before drinking it though.

This is probably not necessary in your situation, but it was kind of fun if you feel like trying. I put my liquid in a 2L soda bottle and topped it with a carbacap, then purged it. Once purged I filled it with ~40psi CO2 and hooked it to the gas post with a jumper. All of the liquid went in (a little squeeze needed at the end in my case) without having to open the keg.

Again, probably not necessary, you could just open and dump it in and probably be fine. I just did it this way because it was a pressure fermentation that I didn't want to de-pressurize at that point because the yeast were still working.

Will the concentrate be boiled? That might be my only concern, though it would be very slight if the keg is already at serving temp and will be disposed of in a reasonable amount of time.

Latest posts

Back