Adding cocoa nibs and coffee to a stout if not doing a secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for adding those things to the secondary (which I don’t do) should I just add them to the primary fermenter after fermentation has slowed down?

Yep. Just rack really really well when bottling

I was thinking of using a hop bag both for that and for the nibs/coffee at flameout. Last time I made this beer it was near impossible to bottle for the reason you are stating. Would hop bags work?

Never tried with chocolate, I'd think it would dissolve out

I just don’t want the big pieces of chocolate floating around in the bottling bucket and clogging the spigot. I forgot to mention on top of nibs there’s a bunch of chocolate chips. Between the two there’s a ton of floating pieces of chocolate in the fermenter. I would think if I put the nibs/chips and (maybe) the ground coffee in a hop bag at flameout and put the coffee in a hop bag after fermentation slowed down it would make it a little easier racking to the bottling bucket and ultimately bottling

Yep, dump 'em right into the primary. Cold crash if you can, everything will drop out.

So you wouldn’t recommend putting them
In hop bags? I also left out I only do 1.5 gallon batches which makes a big difference. When I was doing 5 gallon batches I could rack to the bottling bucket with a lot of room between the bottom and top. With a 1.5 gallon batch (with almost a quarter gallon of trub) the siphon has very little space to siphon and starts sucking up trub (and chocolate pieces) really quick.

I do not do secondary.

I've added vanilla beans and raw cocoa beans, which I crushed ( soaked in bourbon for a few days in the fridge ) and dumped in the fermenter, days after fermentation was over.

I had no issues with bottling and floaties. I used S-04 and did not cold crush ( no dry hoppping ).

I am fairly sure the cocoa nibs will sink and settle to the bottom, due to their ( weight ) density. Coffee beans usually have no water in them, making them very light and probably will float. If you do not want to bag them, dump them the way they are and when you rack to your bottling bucket ( IF you bottle ), wrap the siphon with a strain bag/BIAB bag and you will be fine.

So you wouldn’t recommend putting them
In hop bags? I also left out I only do 1.5 gallon batches which makes a big difference. When I was doing 5 gallon batches I could rack to the bottling bucket with a lot of room between the bottom and top. With a 1.5 gallon batch (with almost a quarter gallon of trub) the siphon has very little space to siphon and starts sucking up trub (and chocolate pieces) really quick.

At a 1.5gal volume, you should be able to stick that little guy in the fridge for a few days, which will compact the trub and everything very nicely. I'd give it a whirl, but if you're not confident then using hop sacks should work just as well.

Back