Adding cocoa after fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_howard

Reaction score
I'm going to make a simple extract Nut Brown ale today - a full five gallon batch.

But, when I go to bottle (I don't do a secondary), I'm thinking of putting a gallon or two into a smaller carboy and adding cocoa powder for a "sub batch." Then, letting that sit for a couple of weeks

Any opinions on that method to get a stronger chocolate flavor into the beer? Or, would it be better in a primary? I could just as easily put a portion of the original wort in a smaller vessel and add the additional chocolate then.

Thanks!

Cocoa powder is a great flavor addition. I made a Stout with cocoa powder a few years ago that was awesome. I added the cocoa powder to secondary. Adding to a smaller amount in a carboy, as you plan to do, is essentially the same process. Should work fine.

I think most flavor additions work best in secondary or somewhere late in the process. If you add them to the boil you are just boiling away the flavor. And, I think, more time in primary with active ferm probably weakens the flavor (just my opinion -- no data to back this up). Secondary makes the most sense to me.

I suggest reviewing other recipes to determine how much you want to use (I don't have mine handy, but it was just a few oz to 5 gallons as I recall -- this was very high % cocoa powder so may depend a bit on what you use).

Back