Adding Cinnamon to Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently brewed up a batch of Nut Brown Ale.. I really wanted to add some cinnamon flavor but my dad is slightly allergic to cinnamon so couldnt add anything into the beer before bottling because I plan on sharing a good amount with him.
My question is how is the best way to add some cinnamon flavor now. I have about 5 days left before Im going to bottle my beer. I'm thinking of bottling half and then adding ground cinnamon into the bottling bucket, mixing and continue bottling but i wanted to make sure cinnamon wouldnt distrupt the carbonation process and if this is the best way to do it. Thanks

Also I would be adding cinnamon flavor to apox. 2.5 gallons. Thanks

I would make a tea with the cinnamon and some hot water. Let it steep for ~5 minutes, then strain through a coffee filter. Mix some with a measured amount of beer and adjust from there to get the balance you want. Then scale up and mix the tea into the bottling bucket after you bottle the first “clean” half.

This method allows you to tweak the flavor so you don’t over/under do it, and it gets the little bits of cinnamon out of the bottle. You could also try a longer extraction with vodka at room temp, but I’ve been happy with the spice tea method. Good luck.

At the local brew pub they coat the glass rim with cinnamon on their winter warmer like salt on a margarita glass.

Back