Has anyone had success adding cinnamon sticks to your cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadamxtr

Reaction score
I have several cinnamon sticks and was contemplating whether adding them to my cider would be a good idea. Anyone tried this before? I was also wondering at what stage would be best to add them, I'm thinking maybe in secondary, or maybe even in the bottle?

I've added them to secondary. 1 stick per gallon for 1 week. It works well for my taste. You may want more or less time - it's worthwhile to taste test along the way until you find something you like.

My cider method is unorthodox--fermented in the gallon jug the juice comes in, then decanted to a gallon wine jug and refrigerated before the primary fermentation is completely done (and consumed immediately). I have added a cinnamon stick to the jug when I put it in the fridge, and it was quite nice. I put a few whole cloves in too. Made it for Thanksgiving one year.

I agree with Berol except that I don't do a secondary. I just add to the fv after fermentation is mostly done. I also soak the sticks (and any other spices I add) in vodka for a few days to extract flavor and sanitize any critters that might be on them then add the spices and the vodka tincture to the cider.

Back