Adding Cherries to a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmind

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking for the best option(s) on adding cherries to a stout. Having never added fruit to beer I've been doing a little research and seem to have found various advice.

Here's the 2 main goals:
1. Have the cherry taste noticeable but not too strong/not too subtle (I'd prefer a little stronger than subtle if it's hard to even out the taste)

2. Use real cherries (no extracts/etc.). This is a request from my SWMBO.

I assume we should pretty much always add them to the secondary? If so, how long should I wait after primary fermentation takes place? Then how long should I wait to bottle?

Maybe I just pasteurize cherries, mash them up and rack over them in the secondary?

All advice is welcome. Sorry for asking a lot of questions but I am still very new to this.

Thanks!

I would go to the grocery store.. buy cans of oregon cherry puree (tart is my preference), then dump them into a secondary and rack the beer on em once primary fermentation begins to slow (not when it has halted). Fermentation will pick up again as yeast eat the cherry sugars. Once it has stopped give it a day or two and your good.

I regularly add dry cherries to a Christmas beer I make. I like to use the dry because it seems like the flavor is more concentrated than in fresh. Unfortunately the flavor of the fruit is relatively subtle. I usually add 5# to a 10 gallon batch and usually it starts a secondary fermentation and raises the abv by .5% or so. If you want something more noticeable you're best bet would be to add a little liquid flavor at bottling to reinforce the flavor and replace the aroma lost due to fermentation. If you've ever had Sam Smith's organic strawberry etc.. they use fruit juice and naturally derived flavoring.

As for when to add them, when you're a couple points from your fg. Or if you're a bubble counter, once you get to at least 30 seconds between bubbles I the airlock.
Ps, i add them to the primary fermenter. I don't like transferring multiple times.

Thanks for the great responses so far.

Double D - Do you pasteurize the cherries or anything before adding them? Also, I've seen other posts recommending about 2# of cherries per pound. You suggest the other way around. Any reasoning why?

Thanks!

Thanks for the great responses so far.

Double D - Do you pasteurize the cherries or anything before adding them? Also, I've seen other posts recommending about 2# of cherries per pound. You suggest the other way around. Any reasoning why?

Thanks!

1.Nope, they're dry. Basically nothing to worry about. I guess you could douse them with your bourbon of choice but I don't. My Christmas beers are usually 8.5% abv so I don't get to concerned.
2. Two#/gal is from my experience the appropriate amount for fresh fruit, that's why i use dry. The water is already removed therefore concentrating the flavor.

I just added about 7lbs of cherries to a 5 gallon batch of Milk Stout. I froze fresh cherries for a week, thawed them and put them in secondary, and racked the beer on top. After one week there was plenty of cherry flavor. I have read that freeze-dried fruit actually provides better flavor, so if you can get your hands on that, then try using it.

Have a health food store near you? They sell sour cherry extract (not the kind if extract you are thinking of) that worked very well for my cherry stout.

I just added about 7lbs of cherries to a 5 gallon batch of Milk Stout. I froze fresh cherries for a week, thawed them and put them in secondary, and racked the beer on top. After one week there was plenty of cherry flavor. I have read that freeze-dried fruit actually provides better flavor, so if you can get your hands on that, then try using it.
Did you mash up the cherries at all? Just threw them in?

Have a health food store near you? They sell sour cherry extract (not the kind if extract you are thinking of) that worked very well for my cherry stout.
Have a few health stores about 30 minutes away I could get to if needed. How much extract did you end up using if you don't mind?

Thanks all!

I just got a kit from Adventures in Homebrewing (my LHBS). SWMBO got me their mug club membership for Christmas. First kit happens to be a tart cherry stout. It came with about a 12oz bottle of cherry juice. I'll snap a picture in the morning if I remember. I know you weren't looking to use an extract. Not sure if the juice is acceptable or not.

Get the Oregon fruit puree. 2 3.3 lb cans. I used 2 cans of raspberry in a chocolate stout that was fantastic.

Have a few health stores about 30 minutes away I could get to if needed. How much extract did you end up using if you don't mind?

Thanks all!

The extract I used is Niagara region Cherry Lane sour cherry extract. I ended up using 3/4 of a cup and it was just about right...

Kinda think the OP means that artificial tasting concentrate - not legit fruit juice concentrate...

Kinda think the OP means that artificial tasting concentrate - not legit fruit juice concentrate...

That was sort of my thought as well which was why I posted. In case OP was some sort of "purist", others reading this could also benefit...

That was sort of my thought as well which was why I posted. In case OP was some sort of "purist", others reading this could also benefit...

What is the consistency of that product? The stuff I buy has the viscosity somewhere between motor oil and molasses...

What is the consistency of that product? The stuff I buy has the viscosity somewhere between motor oil and molasses...

Haven't brewed so I haven't opened it. It didn't occur to me that it would be anything thicker than fruit juice, although I didn't pay very close attention. I'll take a look at it and report back, but I'm pretty sure it is roughly the viscosity of water.

I have had great luck with dried tart cherries from the health food store. 3 lbs for 10 gal batch. The last 20 minutes of the boil. It extracts the flavor very well with no odd flavors. Does not effect/block the false bottom when I drain the kettle after cooling (immersion chiller and recirculation pump). It is smoother than using cherry puree during fermentation, primary or secondary. And I think the puree makes the beer look muddy.

Thanks so much for all of the replies! Lots of good information. I just got very swamped work wise so will have to find time in the next day or so to really digest the information.

I love the variety of ways brewers can do this. May have to experiment with a couple of them.

After further inspection, it is definitely more viscous than water. However, it is less viscous than motor oil and considerably less than molasses. I would say something like cough syrup.

I haven't added fruit to any of my brews but did have the pleasure of having a few pints of Oskar Blues Ten fidy that had chopped up cherries in the keg. I believe they were bing cherries, what ever they were it has been one of the best brews I've tasted.

Sorry, I'm a little behind. I know I promised to post this yesterday. Again, I know you said you didn't want extract. Not sure if concentrate is also out. And again, I have not yet brewed, so I can't comment in results, but Adventures in Homebrewing has never steered me wrong.

View attachment 243339

This is what I use as well for anything cherry. I usually do a quart of it in a five gallon batch. It costs about $20 for a quart but I've found it is cheaper and easier than buying either fresh or frozen cherries in the quantity needed.

Back