Adding campden at racking.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I made a Cabernet Sauvignon from wine expert eclipse series. I have followed the instructions and it is now time to bottle or rack again and age. I plan on bulk aging it. At the second to last racking I added the metabisulfte, sorbate, oak cubes and chitosan clarifier that all came with the kit. After ten days I racked again and topped it up with a store bought Cabernet Sauvignon. It has been a month and I am ready to rack. Should I add campden, and if so how much? Thanks.

I made a Cabernet Sauvignon from wine expert eclipse series. I have followed the instructions and it is now time to bottle or rack again and age. I plan on bulk aging it. At the second to last racking I added the metabisulfte, sorbate, oak cubes and chitosan clarifier that all came with the kit. After ten days I racked again and topped it up with a store bought Cabernet Sauvignon. It has been a month and I am ready to rack. Should I add campden, and if so how much? Thanks.

I wouldn't add more right now, unless you're bottling it. When you bottle it, you can use 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon (6 total) or 1/4 teaspoon of the k-meta powder.

I don't have an S02 meter, so I guestimate the likely amount of sulfite at 50 ppm by using it at every other racking and at bottling. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well that way.

I wouldn't add more right now, unless you're bottling it. When you bottle it, you can use 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon (6 total) or 1/4 teaspoon of the k-meta powder.

I don't have an S02 meter, so I guestimate the likely amount of sulfite at 50 ppm by using it at every other racking and at bottling. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well that way.

Ok thanks this would be my third racking since adding metabisulfte. How long should I wait to rack again? Or do I even need to?

Ok thanks this would be my third racking since adding metabisulfte. How long should I wait to rack again? Or do I even need to?

Only rack when you need to- when you have lees 1/4" thick or more, or any lees at all after 60 days. Once you have no lees at all after 60+ days, it's ok to bulk age or to bottle.

Thanks after closer inspection there wasn't much lees at all. I racked to a five gallon carboy and got a few bottles for samples. It was great and I can't wait to taste the final product.

Back