adding body with lactose post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
hi im wondering does lactose add body if its added post fermentation. my thought is that it would have to be added during the boil and dissolved in the wort to add body or does it dissolve without being boiled? but if sweetness can be added post fermentation then maybe body can be added to?

you're better off using maltodextrin to accomplish this. As a similar unfermentable carbohydrate, you'll get some mouthfeel without the lactose sweetness.

Both will add around 400 calories per 100g. Both are complex carbohydrates, and metabolically very similar. However the human tongue tastes lactose as sweet, and the maltodextrin, negligible flavor contribution. So, it's up to you to decide which, if at all, to use based upon whether you want to add the sweetness.

If you haven't used lactose powder before, I can tell you it's a 'different' kind of sweet, similar to the sweetness you get from powdered coffee creamer. It works well in some recipes, but is very out of place in others.

I just finished a milk chocolate stout using lactose. I can attest to the sweetness being closer to powered coffee creamer. It works well for my chocolate stout, but I would be hesitant to use it with other beer styles.

Back