Adding body and sweetness to stout.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
I've heard that adding Caramel Malt 60L to a extract stout will will add body and sweetness. My local brew shop doesn't have 60L, but has 40L and 80L. Which one would work better? Thanx!

you're talking about a partial mash, essentially?

80L will leave more un-fermentable sugars resulting in more body and sweetness than the 40L.

Either would work, but you could also reduce the 40L and add some maltodextrin instead for more body but less sweetness.

according to beersmith, 40L is closer than 80L, and 80 might add some more "roasted" flavour.

you're talking about a partial mash, essentially?

Wouldn't it just be steeping? I always assumed partial/mini mashes used some amount of base malt for the enzymes and that starch conversion takes place. Just using crystal/caramel malt doesn't contribute much enzyme power.

Which brings me to my recommendations for "adding body and sweetness to stout". If you're brave and you don't mind changing up your recipe, maybe look into a mini-mash recipe for an oatmeal stout. If you want to keep it an extract batch then I think you're on the right track with steeping grains, but have you considered adding a little lactose towards the end of the boil?

Wouldn't it just be steeping? I always assumed partial/mini mashes used some amount of base malt for the enzymes and that starch conversion takes place. Just using crystal/caramel malt doesn't contribute much enzyme power.

Which brings me to my recommendations for "adding body and sweetness to stout". If you're brave and you don't mind changing up your recipe, maybe look into a mini-mash recipe for an oatmeal stout. If you want to keep it an extract batch then I think you're on the right track with steeping grains, but have you considered adding a little lactose towards the end of the boil?

Yes, thought about lactose but that stuff is expensive. May have to use lactose if caramel malt doesn't help. Thanks everyone!

If you have a local homebrew shop and can avoid paying shipping I think lactose isn't ridiculously expensive.

Sure, it is more expensive than malt, but extract can be pretty darn expensive too.

yes - you're right!...i've never done any extract/partial mash/steeping combo's before, and as a result i got my terminology mixed up! Steeping it is!

All good, @xpops , I just caught it because I do what some call "mini-mash", but I call "partial-extract", because I usually brew 3-gallon batches and my mash tun, which I usually max out, is a 3-gallon cooler. I'm trying to get all the flavor and fermentable sugar from a mash that I can, but I often use a pound or so of DME.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back