Adding Blueberry Flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt23

Reaction score
Many of the recipes I've seen call for adding the blueberry to the second fermenter. As I don't have a secondary fermenter, I'm thinking of adding the appropriate amount to a 1/6 bbl keg and add the beer on top of that, letting it sit for a week before carbonation.

Think this would be ok or what would be the dangers of doing so?

I add them at flameout, let sit go 10 minutes then cool

I freeze the first though to break the skin

use extract. i just did a raspberry wheat using extract and put it in during bottling. you can taste as you add to make sure you add the right amount for your taste.

After doing a bunch more research, I'm thinking it'd be better to add the blueberry (or any other fruit) directly to the fermenter.

Here's the thinking: If one used actual blueberries, they would be mashed and added directly to the primary fermenter, similar to making wine. Yeah, the yeast will eat up any sugars, would not be as sweet as adding afterwards, but thinking the beer should still have strong hints of the flavoring, plus with the added sugars, should add something extra to the beer. I guess worst case when done fermenting, if all the blueberry flavoring is gone, can always add more when bottling/adding to a keg.

Not to change the subject too much, but thinking a fruit beer would be even better lambic style. I found this recipe https://byo.com/mead/item/1749-lindemans-lambic-clone, which suggests using both an ale yeast and a lambic yeast. The process would be adding the ale yeast to the cooled wort, let it go for 2 weeks, move to secondary fermenter on top of fruit added and adding the lambic yeast.

It would seem more natural and easier to just add the fruit to the chilled wort along with the lambic yeast and have it all done at once. At least that's how it seems it would've done in the original style, leaving to chill overnight in the open air collecting yeast from the area and that's that. Of course the pots they used were probably loaded with old yeast anyway but the point being that was about it, no adding two different types, one for just the wort and other for the fruit.

Back