Adding adjuncts to secondary is scary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookwow

Reaction score
Im making an Apricot Saison with apricot puree added after primary fermentation. Last night a took the FG and a taste before i racked it on top of the puree. To my tastes it was about as perfect as you could get for a saison I almost didn't want to add the fruit. Sure how it doesn't let me down.

Have you ever added stuff to a secondary and been let down? Lets hear your stories.

Hazelnut extract to a nut brown ale. Gave it a funny nose and I'll never use it again. Added cherry puree can to a wheat beer (like $15 or so from NB) and think I'll just rack over thawed/previously frozen berries next time. Had better luck that way.

I've done vanilla bean and cold brewed coffee stout secondary and was very happy.
Blackberry wheat, 1lb/gallon blackberries was good, but the fruit overpowered the wheat character.
I've got what was a delicious wheat at racking over to secondary for a month on fresh mango and pineapple purée aging now in a keg.
The aroma is F'n outstanding. Flavor was a little too bitter, but that is fading and I'm betting on exactly the flavor and aroma my wife asked for.

With me it's coffee in a Stout. Happened twice, added 2 different ways(once cold brewed plus the grounds, the 2nd time just the cold brew). Both resulted in what I can only describe as a 'compost' smell and flavor. It's definitely the coffee. Had a commercial coffee Stout that had the same off-flavor. yuck.

Coffee to a gallon of IPA racked out of a larger batch. TOO MUCH! Also the IPA was no good because the hops were old.

Also, looseleaf red tea in an American Wheat. Not sure if it was the tea's fault or poor sanitation but the brew ended up infected. Not a good beer.

Latest posts

Back