Adding additional dry hops to two hearted clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eerrpp

Reaction score
I bought a bells two hearted extract clone recipe. Recipe is below.

Would adding additional dry hops or late boil hops work with this recipe??

I have 2 ounces of citra hops in my freezer. I was thinking of either adding an additional 2 ounces of citra to the dry hop or an additional 1 oz dry hop and 1 oz late boil. Thoughts???

Recipe:
Steeping grains
- 1lbsBriessCaramel40
LME
- 9.15lbsGoldmaltsyrup
Hops
- 1ozCentennial(60min) - 1ozCentennial(20min) - 2ozCentennial(5min)
- 1ozCentennial(Dryhop)

Go for it. I did a 2 Hearted clone where I used some amarillo along with the main centennial hops. Turned out awesome.

Yup, go for the citra in dry hop. My house IPA started off as the Northern Brewer Dead Ringer kit (which is basically the same as your two hearted clone, though AG). Several iterations have resulted in my go-to IPA recipe. One of the first changes I made was to add citra in the dry hop. Gives a nice citrus punch that I think the centennial lacks.

In my final house IPA recipe, I also settled on some early simcoe additions and late amarillo, but still do the citra in dry hop.

yeah that's the recipe kit i have, Northern Brewer Dead Ringer Kit.

Did you add an ounce of citra to the dry hop in addition to the ounce of centennial Dry hop or just an ounce of citra to the dry hop on its own?

Throw in an ounce of citra after your wort has cooled to around 180 - let it sit there for 20 minutes and then finish cooling your wort. Use the other citra ounce with the centennial for dry hopping.

Yup, go for the citra in dry hop. My house IPA started off as the Northern Brewer Dead Ringer kit (which is basically the same as your two hearted clone, though AG). Several iterations have resulted in my go-to IPA recipe. One of the first changes I made was to add citra in the dry hop. Gives a nice citrus punch that I think the centennial lacks.

In my final house IPA recipe, I also settled on some early simcoe additions and late amarillo, but still do the citra in dry hop.

could you post your recipe????

Throw in an ounce of citra after your wort has cooled to around 180 - let it sit there for 20 minutes and then finish cooling your wort. Use the other citra ounce with the centennial for dry hopping.
i was thinking the same thing too

Sure, here's my recipe:

12 Lbs- two row
18 oz- caramel 60
10 oz- cara pils

1 oz centennial, 1 oz simcoe @ 60 min
1 oz centennial @ 20 min
1 oz centennial @ 5 min
2 oz centennial, .5 oz Amarillo @ whirlpool
1 oz centennial, 1 oz citra, .5 oz Amarillo @ dry hop

I agree with above, do one oz citra whirlpool, one oz with the centennial in dry hop.

What made you add the extra ounce of simcoe to the bittering hops???

Just experimentation that worked ;) I actually like simcoe as a bittering hop...decent AA and low cohumulone. I don't know how much difference it makes in the end product, but I sure like the beer. I've put this up against two hearted several times and have had nothing but rave reviews.

with the hops i think i may end up doing:

- 1ozCentennial(60min)
- 1ozCentennial(20min)
- 1ozCentennial 1oz Citra(5min)
- 1ozCentennial 1oz Amarillo (0min)
- 1ozCentennial 1oz Citra (Dryhop)

Back