Adding Acidulated Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerg

Reaction score
So, I've seen the various formulas to calculate what percentage of my grains should be acidulated malt but I'm not sure how to apply that percentage to a recipe. Say I figure I need 8% acidulated malt - do I just figure out what 8% of my grain weight is and add it? Or do I adjust everything so that the total weight remains the same? Or do I remove some of the base malt and replace with acidulated malt, leaving the specialty malts unchanged?

For all intents and purposes acid malt is essentially 2-row with lactic acid added as a coating.

I formulate a recipe and then calculate any adjustment to the mash ph that is needed. The acidulated malt replaces a small portion of the palest base malt I'm using. (Typically pilsner, 2-row or Maris Otter)

I calculate the required substitution using Bru'n Water and data from past brews. Correctly and acurately measuring the mash pH is required for the latter to be possible.

Say your total grain bill is 10 lbs and your software tells you you need 2.5% acid malt to hit desired mash PH. that means you need .25lbs acid malt. Just replace .25lbs of your base malt with acid malt. Boom!

I believe unless you were sour mashing to achieve low Final beer PH (sour) you shouldn't go by anyone else's Recipe. It's used in Mashing to achieve Desired mash PH mostly in Grain bills with low acidity (pale Malts) If you dont know what your Mash PH is without it you really have no idea how much to use.

Makes sense - as usual I was trying to over complicate things. Thanks for the quick responses!

Back