Adding a new gas post to a stainless steel lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackyl

Reaction score
I couldn't decide which forum to put this in, but I decided the keg forum would know best. Googling has not solved this for me, so I'm hoping someone here knows. If not, I'll end up posting whatever I end up doing and maybe it helps someone later.

I was gifted a minox fusti by my father in law who thought I could use it somehow for beer. Of course, he was right! I'm planning on fermenting in it, but I decided the best thing I could do is add a ball lock fitting so I could use that as a blowoff and then, once fermentation is done, switch to a ball lock off a reg and do pressurized transfer, maybe with a filter, to a keg

The problem is that I can see all corny posts are 9/16-8 or 19-32/8, but I cannot figure out a way to drill a hole in the lid and then get that threading ready for a post. Is my only option to drill and tap the lid, or does anyone know of some hardware I can buy to install with washers, gaskets, etc to put a gas post on this? Thanks!

I would be surprised if your fusti is thick enough to support a threaded fitting.

There are keg post adapters available with NPT threads, with a coupler or half-coupler you could use an O-ring to effect a good seal - certainly good enough for a CO2 push...

Cheers!

I would be surprised if your fusti is thick enough to support a threaded fitting.

There are keg post adapters available with NPT threads, with a coupler or half-coupler you could use an O-ring to effect a good seal - certainly good enough for a CO2 push...

Cheers!

Right, I didn't think the lid could be tapped. These might work, but do you think an o-ring is enough, or should I do the usual weldless washer/gasket thing? I guess there's no big deal trying this, since if it fails I can always go to the backup plan of a camlock on a weldless bulkhead.

Thanks for the link! this looks very promising.

Note that adapter goes from Firestone to a flare thread. I use that particular adapter to put posts on the end of tubing and on carboy caps by adding a 1/4" MFL - 1/4" barb.

But you want to stick the end of the adapter opposite the keg post through your fusti lid - so I'd think this would be the better deal.

It should be easy to find a 1/4" FPT fitting for the inside - as I said before you could cut a coupler in half. I'd think adding a flat gasket or even an O-ring would suffice to hold pressure sufficient to push your beer...

Cheers!

Right, I didn't think the lid could be tapped. These might work, but do you think an o-ring is enough, or should I do the usual weldless washer/gasket thing? I guess there's no big deal trying this, since if it fails I can always go to the backup plan of a camlock on a weldless bulkhead.

Thanks for the link! this looks very promising.

Hey jackly, did you up trying this out? Did it work ok?

Back