adding a kettle valve and hop clogging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pezman1

Reaction score
I am an extract brewer who brews close to full volume worts. I wish to add a weldless kettle valve to my BK in order to make transfer to my carboy easier and safer.

Question-

Will a kettle valve used with a half-inch barb and transfer tubing clog up with pellet hop residue, or will the hop residue settle to the bottom of the kettle below the level of the kettle valve inlet and stay put?

I use an IC, so I figured I could chill, then stir a bit for a "mini whirlpool", then transfer via half inch tubing?

At present I pour the cooled wort into my glass carboy through an 8 inch funnel stuck in the carboy neck and a separate stainless steel strainer nestled in the funnel. Works great, but is best done with assistance.

Thanks for any thoughts on this - Pez.

If the valve is in the right position, you should be able to empty the entire kettle up to valve level without picking up trub. Then you can tilt and get another liter or two out before trub really becomes an issue. What the right position is depends on the size and diameter of your boil kettle. On your next batch, make something big and hoppy and siphon the beer out of the kettle instead of pouring. Note where the trub is sitting, and drill a little above that level.

Back