Adding 2nd Breaker to Spa Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverZero

Reaction score
I have a 240v circuit on a 30a breaker at the main panel, dedicated feed to the A/C unit. I'd like to use this run for my brewery (240v 30a standard setup with a control panel). Obviously I need to add a GFCI to it, but I'm not sure if I want to leave the A/C available or not - wife might want to cool the house during the summer while I'm brewing!

My options, it seems, are:

1. Split the (external conduit) A/C line with a DPDT safety switch, one throw going to A/C unit and the other to a spa panel. Couldn't use A/C and brew at the same time as they'd be physically switched one or the other.

2. Replace the 30a main breaker with a 60a breaker and 6awg line to a spa panel, then add a 2nd 30a breaker to the spa panel for the A/C in addition to the pre-installed GFCI breaker. Can anybody recommend a spa panel with extra spaces for a 2nd breaker? It doesn't need GFCI protection.

Any advice one way or the other?

I have a 240v circuit on a 30a breaker at the main panel, dedicated feed to the A/C unit. I'd like to use this run for my brewery (240v 30a standard setup with a control panel). Obviously I need to add a GFCI to it, but I'm not sure if I want to leave the A/C available or not - wife might want to cool the house during the summer while I'm brewing!

My options, it seems, are:

1. Split the (external conduit) A/C line with a DPDT safety switch, one throw going to A/C unit and the other to a spa panel. Couldn't use A/C and brew at the same time as they'd be physically switched one or the other.

2. Replace the 30a main breaker with a 60a breaker and 6awg line to a spa panel, then add a 2nd 30a breaker to the spa panel for the A/C in addition to the pre-installed GFCI breaker. Can anybody recommend a spa panel with extra spaces for a 2nd breaker? It doesn't need GFCI protection.

Any advice one way or the other?

If you use a 60a breaker you would need to run 6 awg wire, or 4 awg for a longer run (say over 75 ft.) to the outlet. Then you would likely need a 30a fuse or breaker to protect your brewery control panel wiring, if it does not have it already. Then you still need a GFCI for the brewery panel. If being able to run the AC and the brewery at the same time is important enough to warrant that expense, go for it.

The easiest approach would to run one or the other (not both). Build a GFCI spa panel as a pluggable device. When you want to brew, unplug the AC and plug the spa panel into that outlet. A 50a (or more) spa panel GFCI is fine, as you are not using it to protect the wiring (your 30a mains breaker does that), but only for GFCI.

Ah, you caught my oversight on the brewery overcurrent protection. :) So is this essentially the same as my first option of a safety switch? Is there a benefit to making it pluggable? I'd still have to add a receptacle off the A/C line, right?

Search for a Midwest UG412RMW250. It has extra space for breakers and is rated at 125 amps. It comes with a 50A gfci breaker installed.

Ah, you caught my oversight on the brewery overcurrent protection. :) So is this essentially the same as my first option of a safety switch? Is there a benefit to making it pluggable? I'd still have to add a receptacle off the A/C line, right?

Rather than a safety switch, I was just suggesting that you unplug your air conditioner from its 30a outlet, and plug in your spa panel that would feed your control panel. The benefits to making the spa panel pluggable are that you are not changing your permanent house wiring (no permit required) and that you can take it with you if you move or want to brew elsewhere.

It's an outside central whole-house A/C unit. Hard wired.

That's the bummer on the whole situation, that the only accessible 240v plug is the dryer upstairs. The A/C was added after the house was finished so it's conduited along the inside garage wall down to the point where it breaks through to the outside. The wiring is accessible (though still only 3 wires) but it seems there's no way to avoid technically altering permanent wiring. Might as well just run a new line for the brewery and install a GFCI breaker in the main panel, I'm thinking.

Back