Added a tbsp of PBW instead of 5.2!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Boss

Reaction score
While cleaning up after what seemed to be an average brew session, i realized that instead of adding a tbsp of 5.2 mash stabilizer to my mash, i added a tbsp of PBW instead! what an idiot. My spage was a litlle slow, but i just thought my crush was a little much maybe. I hit my gravity and it fermented like normal.
Anyone else made this mistake before? Not sure what to expect when i thief it for the first time this weekend

Do not ingest detergent. I don't even like getting PBW on my hands because it burns after.

I'm pretty sure pbw is Sodium Metasilicate which is a base. It's a good replacement for other basic cleaners like TSP (trisodium phosphate). I think the major dangers associated with it are that pbw has a very high pH however when it is diluted in your beer the pH should be pretty neutral. I'm pretty sure it won't hurt you but it will reduce the acidity of your beer and it probably won't taste good.

Small residues of PBW should be safe to consume when you use it to clean things and I think in your batch it's pretty diluted.

One of the few batches I've dumped was many years ago when I thought I was adding polyclar to a batch and realized I had added a cleaner.

If you don't dump it, please don't share it with anyone!

Assuming it is a base, then you just pushed your wort the OPPOSITE direction of 5.2 Perhaps using StarSan which is an acid would have made sense from that pov.

I'm not sure of the toxology of the stuff, so I can't say 'dump or not'. But then excessive soap residue on cookware/eating ware can cause a certian loosness of the system.... So things in low doses can be non fatal, but have unpleasant sidefects.

The MSDS here http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/PBWMSDS2.pdf tells what it is. (noticed it is linked above)
Wiki lists one of the uses of Sodium Metasilicate in homebrewing as a clarifying agent. So it might not be hazardous in the ferment as it might drop. Still if it is a base, that is generallly the opposite direction you want to go.

This doesn't make sense. Could you explain why.

Residue from cleaning agents that doesn't get properly rinsed will seep into the beer and ruin the ability for it to retain any head since one of the purposes of a cleaning agent is to break surface tension.

That being said, any amount added directly to the beer will have the same effect.

And if you have ever consumed any quantity of soap due to poorly rinsed dishes or pure stupidity you will know that it can cause you to have rather ummmm... loose stool.

Here's kind of a silly suggestion:

Before doing anything how about contacting the PBW folks directly and asking them:D

I'm sure they would be more than helpful explaining why you should or should not be concerned.

You can also contact your local poison control center and they too have the ability to tell you the dangers if you give them the ingredients of the product.

The thing with contacting the manufacturer, in my opinion, is that they will ALWAYS play it safe. What good does it do them to tell you to keep it? However, if they tell you that, and you drink it and die, they might be liable. Any smart customer service guy will say 'we recommend you dump it'. They gain nothing by saying something different.

Residue from cleaning agents that doesn't get properly rinsed will seep into the beer and ruin the ability for it to retain any head since one of the purposes of a cleaning agent is to break surface tension.

That being said, any amount added directly to the beer will have the same effect.

And if you have ever consumed any quantity of soap due to poorly rinsed dishes or pure stupidity you will know that it can cause you to have rather ummmm... loose stool.

PBW ain't soap

You added it to the mash... right? Then boiled it for 60 minutes? Pffft, I'd let it ferment and try it. It's 4-6 hours of your life and 5+ gallons of beer, that's why.

You have a couple and they make you perch on the porcelain throne and you get a free colon cleansing of a morning is your WORST case scenario. Couple of gulps of Pepto and your off to work no worse for wear.

You added it to the mash... right? Then boiled it for 60 minutes? Pffft, I'd let it ferment and try it. It's 4-6 hours of your life and 5+ gallons of beer, that's why.

You have a couple and they make you perch on the porcelain throne and you get a free colon cleansing of a morning is your WORST case scenario. Couple of gulps of Pepto and your off to work no worse for wear.

I have to agree with Aboo on this one. It might taste like sh**. It might give you an upset stomach. But I seriously doubt you have any lingering effects if there are any effects at all.

Unless you're one of those types who buys all organic in order avoid pesticides and passes on farmed salmon due to mercury, in which case you should probably just go ahead and dump it now, I'm thinking the toxic chemicals we are all exposed to on a daily basis should be more of a concern than a little PBW in your mash.

Of course, if you do drink it and die, I will feel kinda bad about giving you this advice.

The thing with contacting the manufacturer, in my opinion, is that they will ALWAYS play it safe. What good does it do them to tell you to keep it? However, if they tell you that, and you drink it and die, they might be liable. Any smart customer service guy will say 'we recommend you dump it'. They gain nothing by saying something different.

So here's the thing, I did contact the company and received a reply from one of their chemists:

Basically the inadvertent use of this product will not kill you or make you sick but most likely the beer will not taste good.

I quote:

"As a result of using the PBW in the mash the PH of the mash would have wound up excessively high resulting in a possible lowered efficiency of extraction and the sodium level of the mash would wind up quite high as well. The rest of the products ingredients would actually become yeast food during fermentation and rendered harmless. the remaining sodium and high PH though would cause the yeast to produce unwanted off flavors that may render the beer undrinkable."

Interestingly enough,

had the 5.2 been used as well there is a possibility that the buffering ability of the 5.2 may have neutralized the elevation of the PH but would not have corrected the addition of the sodium in the product which would then transfer to the wort and then the beer

if the brewer in question wanted to ride the batch out and see what happens there would be no cause for concern in sampling the product and determining whether it would be drinkable or not.

There is never any harm in contacting the manufacturer of a product for any reason and if there is ever a question to be answered they are certainly the most qualified to do so:D
:mug:

Of course, now you are obligated to finish the ferment and report back after consumption. We all want to know if you can taste the taint. And/or, if you die.

Might as well let is ride and see what happens during a taste. BTW 5.2 doesn't do much of anything. I stopped using it after searching and finding many threads indicating the product useless and worthless. Instead try using Bru'n Water to build your water profile for the proper pH. You will most likely see a bump in efficiency and better beer as a result. My two cents anyway......

Try the oxycleaner offered by National Chemical. Much cheaper than PBW, more effective (IMO) and super easy rinse. It is excellent.

And no, probably should not drink the beer.......

Cheers!

Nanoman

Latest posts

Back