added 2oz of gypsum to 10 gallon recipe need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtausch11

Reaction score
I decided to take my brewing the the next level and started messing with the water. I use ro water and the ez calculator said to add some gypsum. Anyway, measurements and what not got messed up and I ended up adding 2oz. Should I add something to bring the acidity back up? Is there a minimum ph my beer should be for a double IPA? I think it's time to buy a ph meter.

Any recommendations?

I decided to take my brewing the the next level and started messing with the water. I use ro water and the ez calculator said to add some gypsum. Anyway, measurements and what not got messed up and I ended up adding 2oz. Should I add something to bring the acidity back up? Is there a minimum ph my beer should be for a double IPA? I think it's time to buy a ph meter.

Any recommendations?

That does seem like a lot of gypsum for a 10 gallon recipe (maybe 2-5x-ish more than a recommended starting point for a hoppy/minerally beer). I don't quite understand what you're asking, though. Did you add to the mash? It's too late to do anything to your mash pH after the mash is over.

Or did you add afterwards just to make it taste hoppier/more bitter?

There are people here with far more beer chemistry experience than me, but I'd be more worried about the flavor than the pH at this point. I don't think gypsum has that much effect on pH, other than providing calcium ions for the mash.

I've been doing a lot of research and the ph level should be fine. Maybe I could market this as a calcium supplement you can get drunk off. At this point I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the gypsum. I added it to the mash water. I've tasted the beer and I haven't noticed a mineral like taste but the hop bitterness does stay in your mouth for a while. As long as I can get the fg down it appears not all is lost but that's a whole new issue.

I assume 2 ounces instead of 2 teaspoons?

Unfortunately, this will make an undrinkable beer. It'd be like adding five pounds of salt. :(

Yep, that's pretty much what happened. Doesn't seem undrinkable yet. If I added 5lbs of salt we would be in big trouble.

Yuck. You're asking about allowing for a lower pH but the bigger problem is flavour. I did a very rough calculation and you will have around 500-600ppm Sulfate. For reference 200-300ppm is quite high. I only get to around 150ppm for hoppy beers so can't comment on 500-600.

If you have the fermenter space, maybe you could brew up a blender batch using a mostly RO or DI water base?

Heck, you said this is a DIPA--your blender batch could be a weak-ass blond and you could wind up with a regular IPA!

If you have the fermenter space, maybe you could brew up a blender batch using a mostly RO or DI water base?

Heck, you said this is a DIPA--your blender batch could be a weak-ass blond and you could wind up with a regular IPA!

Good point if they really want to save it.

Back