Add or not to Add Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongDukDong

Reaction score
What it is HBT,

I have a question i hope some of you's can help me with. I made my first batch of mead/melomel back in Nov. using 12lbs of wildflower honey, 3lb bag of frozen mixed berries (blue,rasp & marion) from Costco and Red Star Champagne yeast. I think OG was right over 1080 and it finished out a little drier than i prefer at 1010 but the berry flavors are reminiscent of a cough syrup.

My question is, can I add some frozen strawberries to help out the flavor or would the flavor sit on top of the existing berry notes to make a medicinal strawberry mead? If strawberry wont help the flavor, what will? I plan on adding sorbate and back sweeten a little bit but worried about the mixed berry/ couch medicine flavor. :confused:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have never backsweetened any meads that I have made - someone else will have to weigh in on that, I just know that 3 - 4 months is way to early for a mead to be ready to drink.

I'm not familiar with that exact yeast but I do usually use champagne yeast. My meads finish lower than 1.010. I agree that it isn't done yet, and some of that medicine taste is likely from the ongoing ferment. Sorry, I can't help you on the back sweetening except to recommend next time to use a yeast that is less alcohol tolerant than a champagne variety.

-cheers

I'm going to agree with the already made statements about it still being too young and to not try back sweetening it yet. If it's not fermented out to the yeast's tolerance level (ABV) then adding sugar will probably just kick off more fermentation, or more active fermentation.

I have two traditional meads in process still. They were started on November 24th, 2010... They're still dropping in the SG area. Getting damned close to the posted limit of EC-1118 (17.9% last time I checked), but could go a bit higher (ABV)... I plan to let them bulk/batch age for at least another couple of months. I used 12# of honey in the 3 gallon batch, and 20# in the 5 gallon batch.

That being said I also have a blackberry melomel started at the same time (was one busy day)... That's another 3 gallon batch, using D47 yeast. I used 8# honey, 3# fresh blackberries in primary, then added 4.5# (total) post primary (7.5# of berries total). Color is EXCELLENT, but it needs to mellow some (close to 14% ABV)... It was HOT in December/January, but has been mellowing since.

I plan on letting all three batches age until at least May/June as they are now. At that point, I plan on racking to corny kegs, getting them to seal, and let them age through the summer time (in a cool area)... Come fall, I plan to bring them back up to regular temps for a month, or so, and then bottle. I will check on them from time to time and release any pressure in the kegs.

I hope that the melomel is closer to being ready in a few more months, but I'm prepared for it to need until the fall before being ready (or later even)... I also plan to NOT stabilize these batches. So, the mead will need to finish as it will. I had planned the traditional batches with a bit of residual sweetness in mind, which I'm almost at. Probably closer to 1.020 now, if not lower... :D

I have been reading, researching, and fermenting meads for the past 2 years. If you are looking to brew a good mead for the near future, play with the back sweetened method of getting the flavor you wish. However, the best meads come with time. I have learned this with each of my batches. NExt up is some traditional herb additions that should produce some very interesting effects. Good luck!
Brew Strong, my friends!

Back