Add more yeast to Imperial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some advice. I have a 5 gallon batch of 1.098 OG Imperial Stout in a 6 gallon carboy that I should have added a blow-off. I came home from from work and it had blown right through the air lock and everywhere! I originally pitched a 3L starter with 2 packs of White Labs 007 Dry English Ale yeast (about 330B cells). The fermentation went crazy and I lost a good amount of liquid and trub/yeast, etc. I have it temp controlled at 65F (18C) in a chest freezer.

My question is did I possibly lose a lot of yeast with the airlock blowing off and trub going everywhere? Should I add another pack of the WLP 007 to replace what might have been lost so I can keep this wort fermenting?

I am concerned it may not fully attenuate now and I'll be left with a sugar bomb. Thanks for the advice!

Erik in San Diego

Did you take a hydrometer reading?

3L starter is a TON of yeast. Highly doubt you lost much, and have done this myself. Take a gravity reading. Wait a day or two. Take another reading. If it is a high SG and hasn't moved, then sure add more. But I highly doubt you will have to.

Thanks Tall Yotie. I appreciate the advice and feedback. I will take some readings and keep an eye on it before going crazy and adding another +/- 100B cells pack!

Even if it was on a stirplate I wouldn't call it a ton of yeast, even if it's a lot. I my eyes you did a correct pitch for that OG if it was on a stirplate, (double the yeast) And I guess you'll be fine, those kind of blowoffs happens once in a while if you didn't account for enough headspace. If you'd have to repitch I'd make it an active starter, as the oxygen and most nutes has already been depleted at the point you make the call.

Back