Add gelatine before adding brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister_General

Reaction score
I image trying to flocculate as much of the protein and yeast as possible would be beneficial, so would it be good to add gelatine and cold crash before transferring my beer to secondary and adding the brett?

If I'm not mistaken Brett actually eats a lot of that left over/dead yeast and protein.

in my limited experience the act of transferring to secondary left me with pretty clear beer. Then I added Brett, and with time the remaining trub, protein, and yeast settled at the bottom. What I had was very clear beer that when I bottled did not require gelatin. Think about it if the brett is going to be working on the beer in secondary, it probably will be doing that for months in order to develop the brett flavors you are seeking. In those months everything will settle out nicely.

in my limited experience the act of transferring to secondary left me with pretty clear beer. Then I added Brett, and with time the remaining trub, protein, and yeast settled at the bottom. What I had was very clear beer that when I bottled did not require gelatin. Think about it if the brett is going to be working on the beer in secondary, it probably will be doing that for months in order to develop the brett flavors you are seeking. In those months everything will settle out nicely.

My main concern is the trub really, by transferring over less yeast and protein would mean less trub in my secondary over the next 3 months or so.

I've pretty much reached a 'don't see why not' conclusion, less proteins will also aid in flavour stability which I imagine becomes more important in aged beers.

I don't think it's necessary to add gelatin at any point if your going to rack to a secondary with Brett. Brett will benefit from a little sac yeast. It will drop clear with the time needed to develop classic Brett flavors.

I agree with no need to gelatin. I recently brett'd two batches (ESB and Belgian Saison) when I move them to the keg and the Belgian was a bit murky going in due to the saison yeast, but was the clearest beer I've made yet after a few months of Brett when I finished it this week.

If I'm not mistaken Brett actually eats a lot of that left over/dead yeast and protein.

True - It is actually beneficial forthe Brettanomyces to have some lees to chew on. you'll get a little more flavour out of brettthis way.
when I age beers on Brett, I always transfer to Secondary, but gelatin is an un needed step,

If you want to gelatin, wait until kegging/bottling until doing it, if needed (IME its not, even with massive dry-hopping)
I brewed a Bret saison, and primaried/secondaried for awhile, then dryhopped with galaxy nelson and sorachi, was cloudy for awhile, but it now brilliantly clear. without gelatin.
but if you want clear beer within a few days gelatin can be done at kegging.
Mine clear up without it after 3 weeks.

Back