Add DME and dry hop Northern Brewer American Wheat kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZMonsoon

Reaction score
I grabbed a few extract kits from Northern Brewer for a trip to San Diego to celebrate my parents anniversary in June. I figured the American Wheat kit would hopefully satisfy the people who won't like the Two Hearted clone I'm making.

Anyway, I have some golden light DME and some Cascade left over from another brew. Let's call it a lb of DME and a 1/3 of an ounce of Cascade pellets.

It looks like this finishes out somewhere around 4.8% I was thinking about adding maybe half a pound of DME and dry hopping for a few days with the Cascade. Cascade is one of the hops in the kit added at 15 minutes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

DME - 1/2 pound will not make a huge difference. 1/3 of an ounce of hops is really small for dry hopping, I usually use 2-6 ounces.... I would just use them in your last addition or at flameout.

One pound of DME will raise your OG about 9 points so if the OG was 1.050 and you added a pound the OG would go to 1.059 So the whole pound would increase the ABV a little over a %.

YW. For the wheat beer, I would keep it at 4.8% abv. I might use the 1/3 ounce of hops but not much more. I wouldn't want a really hoppy wheat beer. Though I wonder if a Wheat IPA would work. Have to look that one up!!

Added: Just looked online: Wheat IPA's!!! Have to work on a recipe now.....

Back