Acidulated Malt in a NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewer12345

Reaction score
i'm considering this just for pH balance but want to know some folks opinion on this. what percentage are ya'll throwing in? without it brewfather is calculating my pH to be about 5.43 and i'm shooting for 5.2-5.3. the 5.43 already has 5ml of lactic acid so i don't want to get too crazy with that. but is it worth it to throw 2% acidulated malt in there to drop the pH to about 5.28? any negative flavors from this? recipe below:

11.25lb Pale 2-Row
2.25lb flaked oats
1lb Spelt
.75lb White Wheat
.25lb Carapils
.25 Acidulated?

thanks for any help!!

Since you are already using lactic acid, why not just use more lactic acid? I know you said you don't want to get "too crazy" with that, but that's what's on the acidulated malt anyway.

Since you are already using lactic acid, why not just use more lactic acid? I know you said you don't want to get "too crazy" with that, but that's what's on the acidulated malt anyway.
oh is it really? ha i had no idea. i mean, will adding another 3-5ml of lactic acid mess with flavor at all for 6gal batch?

looks like i can get to where i want to be with 7ml of lactic acid, and i feel fine about that

The acidulated malt is just the natural way of doing it, in particular germany with beer laws.

I use about 2% in the grain bill dependig on style and need.

Probably less expensive and more consistent with dialing it in with just lactic acid

In any method, it is an important step

Back