Acerglyn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJack887

Reaction score
Early spring I plan to make a batch of acerglyn with birch tea made from sap in place of water. Has anyone on here done something similar before, and what honey would you guys recommend? I also might experiment with a spruce mead.

might be more accurately called a 'betuglyn' or 'betulaglyn'

you might consider boiling the sap down some - to concentrate sugars but also to concentrate the birch flavor. i'd go with a milder honey to not compete with the birch.

i'm planning on a chaga/birch mead in the next few weeks, using birch twigs (got a decent sized sweet birch tree that needs to come down)...

I was thinking about the chaga, too, but thought that was a stretch. How do you use that?

And what yeast would you recommend as to not impart any flavors that could overshadow the birch? Thank you.

i've always done long, long extractions with chaga. like you have a gallon of water with a bunch of crumbled-up chaga in it, you simmer until there's maybe 2/3 of the original volume, you top it up again and continue on like that a few times. the longer you go, the stronger it gets, so it's up to your preference. i like it strong, so i've simmered for 6 or 8 hours before, just topping up when it gets low. by the end, it's black, bitter, and kind of coffee-like. not sure where the birch sap fits in - original liquid?

can't really help on the yeast thing, sorry. i always just roll the dice with wild ones.

Back