Acerglyn turned into a Science Fair Volcano

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
So this is my first time making acerglyn, I've made simple meads before but thought to try something new. My 1 gallon recipe was

2.5lb clover honey
12oz grade A maple syrup
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
D-47 yeast

I started it on 12/5/13 and added 12oz more honey with 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient today, on 12/8/13. I was going to add 8oz more maple syrup near the end of fermentation. When I added the honey and nutrient today, it stated fizzing like I added baking soda to vinegar. Would this just be because of trapped CO2 or has something else come into play? This has never happened before with my previous meads.

image.jpg

Yep, "nucleation points" from the c02 in solution and adding a substance.

Normally, you can take out a sample of the mead and stir additives into it and then add it all back and the volcano will be minimized.

And always rinse off the outside of the fermenter if possible, then spray with sanitiser, then place it in a sanitised bowl, so that if you do get a bit of an eruption you can either put the liquid back in, or say WTF and drink it as a "tester" :D

Thank you Yooper, that makes complete sense. It just surprised me when the mead started erupting. I will take you're advice next time and take out a sample to mix it in.

I like you're thinking fatbloke, waste nothing!

Good Morning Bauerbrewery1989
I have a question for you the 12oz. of honey you added was that part of the 2.5lbs or extra?Reason I am asking is I am new to this.Brewing 2 1gallon batches of cyser right now

And always rinse off the outside of the fermenter if possible, then spray with sanitiser, then place it in a sanitised bowl, so that if you do get a bit of an eruption you can either put the liquid back in, or say WTF and drink it as a "tester" :D

I never even thought of that, but I'm also pretty careful to avoid Mead Explosions.

But yeah, take some out and dissolve it, and add it back in. I usually just dissolve in a bit of water and add that in.

Wildlife- it was an additional 12 oz of honey on top of the 2.5lb. I read that it's easier for the yeast if you start with a lower amount of honey in the beginning, the slowly "feed" the yeast additional honey as the yeast colony grows. I've never tried this method before so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll be adding 8oz of maple syrup when I rack it to the secondary to clear.

Back