Accounting for boil-off.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euripidez

Reaction score
Big brew day tomorrow, and the instructions call for steeping the grains in 2.5 gallons of water for 20 minutes, and then boiling with bittering and flavoring hops for ~1 hour. I suspect I will have less than 2 gallons left after an hour of boiling. Do I keep adding water to the boil or is the boil off important for the wort? I know I add water post-boil to bring the wort to the right gravity before pitching the yeast, correct?

Thanks for any clarification! My first brew was done under supervision of a seasoned brewer but I'm tacking 1/2 grain 1/2 extract all by myself tomorrow.

- Eur

You will have less than 2 gallons left when you're done boiling. When I brewed partial mash I would just top up to 5 gallons with cold water at the end with no issues. Plus it makes cooling the wort a breeze.

You could start with more liquid in the boil, so that you end up with more wort in the end and less topping off. If you can boil, say, 4 gallons, then by all means do it!

I neglected to mention that my kettle has a 3 gallon max, so 2.5 gallons works perfectly. I was also under the impression that increasing the wort will change the IBU for the recipe, which I do not wish to do.

I will just boil and not add water and then add water to the wort to get back to five gallons. Thanks for the clarification, I couldn't find an answer!

Looking forward to some brown ale!

I neglected to mention that my kettle has a 3 gallon max, so 2.5 gallons works perfectly. I was also under the impression that increasing the wort will change the IBU for the recipe, which I do not wish to do.

I will just boil and not add water and then add water to the wort to get back to five gallons. Thanks for the clarification, I couldn't find an answer!

Looking forward to some brown ale!

No, it's not true that IBUs are affected by wort gravity/boil size. The differences between 2 gallon boil and 2.5 gallon boil are negligible. Even the differences between a 2 gallon boil and a 4 gallon boil are negligible.

Generally, start with the biggest boil you can for the best tasting beer.

Thanks, yooper!
I will get my kettle as close to 2.5 gallons as I can when I start the boil. Trying to avoid boilover.

no, it's not true that ibus are affected by wort gravity/boil size. The differences between 2 gallon boil and 2.5 gallon boil are negligible. Even the differences between a 2 gallon boil and a 4 gallon boil are negligible.

Generally, start with the biggest boil you can for the best tasting beer.

and 1

Back