Accidently Left about a quart of starsan in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucktown1860

Reaction score
I'm not positive, but pretty sure I forgot to dump out the quart of starsan I poured into my corny that I use as a secondary. I know I could have trouble carbonating. Is that true? Can anyone inform me of other issues? I am an experienced all grain brewer, but I was rushing and had my head up may ass. This has never happened before. The beer was a summer ale. I hope I wont have to dump it. Thank you all

You might get a kind of lemony flavor but you won't have trouble carbonating. When StarSan is over-diluted, it becomes completely harmless yeast food.

Don't dump it. The worst that happened is that you diluted the beer by a small amount. It may have changed the PH slightly.

No worries.

It'll be fine, most of us have done something similar. In my case, the resulting beer didn't get as crystal-clear as it usually does, but that was the only ill effect I noticed.

Man, you guys are the best! I've been so aggravated with myself. If ever in New Orleans drop me a line and we share a cold one.

This is another good reason to use Star San over pretty much any alternative sanitizer.

I've read sagas that make a mere quart of Star San in the mix look tame, but no dumpers...

Cheers!

You guys are making me feel good! If this batch turns out good ya never know, I may add starsan to the grain bill!! Lol!

Back