Accidential Applejack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheeHardWay

Reaction score
This fall I had made 5 gallons of sour cherry hard cider it was aging in the refrigerator.

I decided to clear the refrigerator this weekend and put remainder, about 4 1/2gals of cider outside so it would not spoil. What on earth was I bout to do???

It was very cold in the NY state this weekend, high on Friday was -10. The cider froze very quickly. Picture of what is outside is just of a portion of what was set out.

I brought it inside and poured into a strainer to separate the ice. Then I put the separated ice in a salad spinner to spin it clear and dry and remove every last drop.

This continued for 3 days. 2 x per day. Sunday morning it was -23 and I brought it for the last time for a final spin. This was the 6th separation spin. Each time placed outside the cider froze really good. I reduced the 5 gallons to just 5 pints.
It smells fantastic. The sour cherry smell really intensified. Boom!! Smooth as silk.

My wife is now happy this cider is no longer taking up so much space in the refrigerator. I am happy that she is happy :)

photo (8).JPG

photo (6).JPG

photo (7).JPG

That looks great!
I want to give my first Jack a try soon.
I've read that it doesn't age well so drink up. :rockin:

I also would like to have your recipe; my last cherry-apple jack was a bit too tart. Not horrible though... big cherry nose with a clean finish. It had been in the bottle for 15 months, and I wish I had another one from that same batch, but I do not. I used frozen concentrate for mine, what did you do for yours?

Back