Accidentally mashed my Pilsner at 158F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetanothersteve

Reaction score
Was in a rush and calculated the infusion strke temp using a grain temperature of 50 when grain was really 70 and then probably allowed the strike water to go a little over as well due to also rushing the temp reading on the strike water. (I blame caffeine and sugar.)

Was shooting for 153F and ended up at 158F.

This is what I mashed in 6 quarts for 65 minutes. BIAB
4.25 lbs Gambrinus Organic Pilsner
0.25 lbs Organic Munich Malt (6L)
0.25 lbs CaraHell (10L)

I am planning on total conical fermenter time of 5 to 6 weeks with a yeast dump after primary at about 2 weeks.

What can I expect due to the high mash temp? Should I plan on more total time in fermenter?

I will be pitching onto the yeast cake of my previous pilsner (Weihenstephan 34/70), so there will be plenty of yeast to get to work right away.

Expect slightly low attenuation, with fermentation completing in a normal amount of time. I intentionally mash that high sometimes when I want to bring out malt character. RDWHAHB.

Thanks guys. That is kind of what I expected.

Forgot to mention that I also added 3 lbs of Briess Pilsner Light DME for the final 15 minutes of the boil. Batch size is 5.25 gallons. Assuming the folks at Briess did their job, only half of the batch was mashed too high.

Am now off to RDWHAHB while living and learning.

Latest posts

Back