Accidentally froze Yeast Packet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewmcd11

Reaction score
Got home from the brew store around noon and accidentally put a yeast packet in the freezer. Took it out about two to three hours later. It is Danstar American West Coast BRY-97.

Will it still be viable? Any tips?

Thanks guys. Yall are always a great help.

I think it will be ok if you gently bring it back to room temp. Don't microwave it or anything drastic like that.

Actually, Wyeast specifically says if you freeze their yeast you an slowly being it back to room temp and if the smack pack inflates in a normal amount of time, it is probably fine. Else do a starter.

My point is that I would be much more worried about liquid than dry, and according to the manufacturer, even liquid may be ok. Certainly don't panic, but plan your next move as opposed to a knee jerk reaction.

No worries with a pack of dry. Just don't warm it too quickly. Move it to the fridge.

Store it in the fridge until a couple of hours before you are going to use it.

It's highly recommended that you rehydrate dry yeast and adjust the temperature of the yeast slurry before pitching.

Back